The Montclair Public Library has launched a new free resource for seniors: Senior Center in a Box. The box has specific activities and themes that seniors can do on their own or with minimal assistance. The boxes are available for borrowing with a library card.
There are currently more than 165 sets available with themes such as knitting / crocheting, painting, puzzles, bird watching, exercises, board games and book-DVD combo.
Each kit contains a full set of materials needed for the activity. For example:
- The knitting / crochet kits include thread and needles, as well as instructions on how to make hats that will be donated to newborns at a local hospital.
- The coloring sets contain various coloring books (which do not have to be returned), colored pencils, sharpeners and colored pencils.
- Puzzles are available in a variety of difficulty levels and include puzzles, crosswords, sudoku, word searches, and brain teasers.
- The bird watching kit includes binoculars, a field guide and maps.
- Games include both single and group options such as dominoes, cards, backgammon, chess, checkers, boggle and yahtzee.
- Book and DVD combinations currently include the popular titles Little Women, The Help, Murder on the Orient Express and Hidden Figures. (Books and word search puzzles are available in large print.)
- The library also worked with the Montclair History Center to create a kit to take seniors on a self-guided walking tour of Montclair.
“These kits are a great way for our seniors to get involved in activities and stay active and entertained during this pandemic while they may not feel safe going out in large groups. We are very excited to offer these and hope that our users will enjoy them, ”said Peter Coyl, Library Director.
The kits can be borrowed for 28 days. A maximum of three sets can be borrowed at the same time. Seniors can visit montclairlibrary.org/adults/.
Kits can be collected from the main library or the Bellevue Avenue branch upon request. Kits can also be delivered through Home Assisted Services, a delivery service from the Montclair Public Library, to residents who are unable to visit the library in person due to age, mobility problems, or other reasons.